Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Peeking Before You Peak

Okay, time for a bit of personal confession. And by the way, I am convinced that whoever said, “Confession is good for the soul…” was confessing someone else’s short-comings - not their own!

If you are a member of a gym or exercise program you’ve seen the individual I am about to describe. Their physical appearance indicates that fitness and dietary discipline have not been a priority. But their new gym shoes and name-brand workout clothes catch your eye. Their apparel and physical condition are as incongruent as racing stripes on a four cylinder Honda Element!

Nevertheless, you watch as they move from machine to machine. They are careful to inconspicuously adjust the weight, sit for a few moments, then re-adjust the weight to a higher level before moving to the next machine to repeat the process. What is most striking is the manner in which they continue to glance at the mirror after completing their ritual. I call it, “peeking before you peak!” They have not been committed long enough to result in any visible changes but still, they peek.

I laugh at the scenario; that is, until I realize that often I do the very same thing. Take for instance, this blog. The first several postings seemed to flow. I just felt a peace knowing that it is His Word, the Bible that speaks to the hearts of mankind. But then - then I hit a writer’s block. I couldn’t come up with a pithy statement or saying. I became concerned about what creative catchy phrases to use to “enhance” the message.

I asked my friend and sister in Christ at work, Crystal Puckett, to pray with me about it. And it hit me! I mean right then! (As I side note, I will be very careful about what I ask Crystal to pray for from now on.) The truth is I was peeking. I was looking in my spiritual mirror at ME. I took my eye off of the mark. I had writer’s block because I was concerned about me and what I was going to write and how you the reader would be impressed. I was trying to dress God’s word in Nike shoes and Champion Sweats, strutting by the mirror of “self” before even exercising one “deep-knee-bend” in prayer.

An old hymn says, “Only one life will soon be past. Only what’s done for Christ will last.”

“Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.” – Psalms 90:17

It isn’t me who should be seen in that spiritual mirror – as we grow in Him, we should reflect Him and His love to others; let Jesus be seen in me.

1 comment:

  1. I totally loved this one! Laur, you have such a gift, your ministry abilities can reach all types. You don't need to look for any fancy catchy phrases, just share God's word as you are blessed by understanding it. Your understanding of His word, then reiterating it to us, is how you reach so many of our hearts. You have a gift, share it simply, your ability to understand it and put it in layman's terms is all we need. That mixed with your wisdom feeds so many of us. I thank God for you.

    ReplyDelete