Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Being IN THE WAY without being in the way!

“Doing my best to stay out of God's way while being in it..."

“I keep tripping over my own two feet!”
“I can’t get out of my own way!”
“I feel like I’m my own worst enemy!”
“Sometimes I can’t tell if I am coming or going!”

Sound familiar? Why is it that when I try so hard to do my very best – I fall so easily? I want God’s will for my life - but it is so hard to find! Why doesn’t He just show me His way?

Perhaps the real question I must ask myself is, “on whose terms do I want God’s will?” Perhaps what I have actually been praying is, “here’s what I want God; bless my desire.” And so, having prayed (and therefore excusing whatever I do as God’s will) I pursue whatever I want with little or no thought at all of God.

Paul “trips all over himself” in Romans 7:14-20:

“We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no long I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do – this I keep on doing! Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.”

He goes on to say in verse 24:

“What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God – through Jesus Christ My Lord!”

The will of God is not a place - it is a position. Therefore, the child of God does not aimlessly search for His will but rather lives within it. We understand this more clearly as Jesus explains:

“…He calls His own sheep by name and leads them out. When He has brought out all His own, He goes on ahead of them, and His sheep follow Him because they know His voice…”
–John 10:3,4

Experiencing the truly balanced life and living within God’s will are the result of obedience. Obedience allows us to “hear” his voice and enjoy life to the fullest while following Him in the path He has prepared for us. We will discuss in detail precisely what the Word of God says about obedience. Here are a few simple truths for today:

1. To live in God’s Will we must be God’s children.
2. Through our obedience we can be assured that we are living within His Will. Obedience in prayer, study and service removes self-imposed detours and distractions.
3. God ALWAYS positions Himself ahead of us. He clears our path so that nothing too great will overtake us. He prepares us, through our obedience, for challenges ahead that He will use to reveal His love more clearly to us.


“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.”
– 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone! Sunday's BLOG will be, "Coming in Second, AND WINNING!"

No comments:

Post a Comment