Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Very New Resolution ...

A friend of mine had resisted efforts to get him to run with our jogging group until his doctor told him he had to exercise. Soon thereafter, he reluctantly joined us for our 5:30 a.m. jogs on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

After a month of running, we decided that my friend might be hooked, especially when he said he had discovered what "runner's euphoria" was. "Runner's euphoria," he explained, "is what I feel at 5:30 on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays."
-- Neil P. Budge

The “in between times” determine the sole/soul commitment to a given resolution. Begrudgingly or superstitiously approaching a modification in one’s behavior often results in failure. A mental callous develops resulting in a dulled sensitivity to the original quest. Not that the importance of the endeavor has diminished, but the overcoming victory of the pursuit and benefits awaiting the committed participant are at best delayed and too often lost.

That being said, I am tempted to slip into 2010 with the utmost anonymity. If I make no resolution, I fail no endeavor. If I share no goal, I face no accountability. I’ll just stay, “under the radar” unknown, un-relied upon, with little or no responsibility.

Then a verse begins to ring in my heart:

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” - Jeremiah 29:11

The plans HE HAS MADE FOR ME? For my GOOD, and not disaster? To give me a future and a hope?

Wait a minute! I’ve been trying to accomplish that year after year. Hmmmm ... Perhaps, just perhaps, MY plans have not been in MY best interest. Perhaps He has protected me from my will and the results that would have caused me harm so that He can bring me to this year, 2010, and the awareness of His will that has been custom designed and tailor fit to give me a future and a hope.

“…to give you a future…” it’s as if I really never had one while I was dependent upon my will, my strength and my dedication. Have you considered this? There is no future for the non-believer, true; but there is also no future for the uncommitted believer.

“…and a hope.” What is “hope” to the child of God? We will be looking at this in the weeks to come. One thing is for certain, the words used in the Hebrew language for the word “hope” ALL focus upon the certainty of future events. This particular word emphasizes His guarantee.

My New Years resolution? Simply put, to commit to His plan while enjoying the fact that every moment of 2010 has already passed His inspection. His plans are for my good, not disaster, that I might actually have a future, precisely the future He has prepared just for me. I am hopeful; I am confident; it’s a done-deal!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment