Sunday, December 13, 2009

Staying Balanced

The holiday season! Thanksgiving, Christmas; good food, good fellowship, good times!

It’s a time for me to renew acquaintances I have not seen at the gym since last Christmas! Some are working in preparation for the grand Christmas feast. Some are working to ELIMINATE the grand Thanksgiving feast. Others are temporarily dedicating themselves to accomplish both!

I tend to go in cycles spiritually; what about you? I’ll find myself “feasting” on the Word of God, enjoying the fellowship of His presence, relaxing in His will… only to become self-content, self-indulgent leading to the sinking feeling of being spiritually useless. And it can happen so quickly!

How can I stay above it all?

My thoughts are turned towards the story in Matthew 14: 23 – 33. Here we witness Jesus’ disciples in a boat that is being tossed during a violent storm. Jesus comes to them walking on the water. Picture that for a moment … There’s JESUS, calmly walking above the storm. Jesus greets them as if the storm did not exist:

“… be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be Thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And He said, come. And when Peter was come down out of the boat, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid and beginning to sink, he cried, saying Lord save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth His hand and caught him, and said unto him. O thou of little faith, why didst thou doubt?”

It is incomprehensible - defying the very laws of physics but, Peter walked on the water TO GO TO JESUS. He was totally focused upon JESUS! He had a definite purpose - TO GO TO JESUS! He gave no thought for himself or his circumstances. While he kept his focus upon Jesus he was able to rise above the storm. But the moment he took his eyes off Jesus he began to sink.

BINGO!

Why does my spirituality come and go in cycles? Because I take my eyes off of Jesus – and it need not be a storm that distracts! ANYTHING that takes my focus off of Him will cause me to sink. It can happen so quickly!

The story doesn’t stop there. Matthew, an eye witness to the event, tells us that Jesus stretched forth His hand and caught Peter IMMEDIATELY! Jesus is ever so near and ready to take hold of us when we call upon Him.

“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” – 2 Corinthians 12:9

“But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us”- 2 Corinthians 4:7

Earthen vessels, filled by faith, rooted and grounded in love, to accomplish more than can be comprehended, by His power, throughout all the ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment