Wednesday, October 21, 2009

1st Interview

“Moreover, such a body freed from nervous tension and over-fatigue is the ideal shelter provided by nature for housing a well-balanced mind that is always fully capable of successfully meeting all of the complex problems of modern living.” – Joseph Pilates

“Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain thee; he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.” – Psalms 55:22

I knew intuitively that before I could reap the benefits of my exercise program I had to commit completely to my trainer. Testing my body fat, taking my measurements and weighing in were humbling experiences. Discussing my diet was even more painful. But, to experience progress, I had to know where I was starting. There was no fooling Joey. He was not delicate with his prognosis. He called it like it was and told me the truth about myself. I could either accept it and proceed or make excuses and remain out of shape. The first thing Joey attacked was my diet. I was guilty of starving my body throughout the day and then gorging myself with a huge caloric intake of non-essential foods right before sleeping. Joey showed me how disciplining myself to consume small amounts of healthy calories from all the essential food groups throughout the day would give me the energy I needed. My increased energy would allow me to burn useless fat while all the time feeling more alert and healthy.

Isn’t that just how God works? When we totally commit to Him, when we are willing to truthfully see ourselves as He sees us and as we truly are, we are prepared for Him to work in us that which is ultimately best for us according to His plan. Once we commit, He is there to sustain us. It begins with a change in our spiritual diet. How often do we allow ourselves to become so preoccupied with “life” that we spiritually starve ourselves? We often find any number of non-essential fulfillments upon which we gorge ourselves only to become spiritually fat, spiritually lazy, spiritually unfulfilled. So, take some time and consider your spiritual health. Is there an intake of spiritual food throughout the day? Do you possess an ever present awareness of His sustaining hand in your life? Are the burdens of this life, the unnecessary “spiritual fat” burning off and is your spiritual diet resulting in increased energy, an invigorated alertness to His will and a healthy desire for spiritual health? He will provide a well-balanced mind that is always fully capable of successfully meeting all the complex problems of modern living!

No comments:

Post a Comment