Sunday, February 21, 2010

"... oh, and the backpack too!"

One night, while in college, I allowed my imagination to get involved in my prayer. I actually imagined leaving my room and being translated through the atmosphere to the pearly gates of heaven. I imagined those pearly doors slowly opening to allow my humble entrance. I saw a heavenly mist and a brilliant light rolling down the staircase that greeted me. On my knees, I slowly climbed those stairs until I envisioned the nail-scarred feet of Him who sat upon the throne. I humbly removed my backpack in which I concealed my trials and tribulations, my anguish, my fears, my humble requests. I laid each and every article in my backpack before the Lord and sincerely acknowledged my weakness and His strength.

Sounds spiritual enough so far – right?

As I ended my prayer, I began to clear the cluttered staircase of my failures, my guilt, my broken promises, my fears and my needs. I returned each into my backpack just as I had brought them.

AND THEN IT HAPPENED!

In my imagination, He who sat upon the throne quietly and lovingly asked:

"Why do you so quickly take back that which you have just entrusted to Me?"

Friend, we need only to leave the challenges of life there – with Him; oh, and the backpack too!

"Come to me all you are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." - Matthew 11:28-29


Excerpt; “Wise Up, O Man of God” – Laurie De Seguirant

No comments:

Post a Comment